Sunday, December 11, 2011

Levels of Consciousness Part 2: Knowing Your Level

It's important to be aware that though others may not be as aware as you are, they may have an awareness, and also, as some may be more aware than you, they have a right to know and be conscious at their own level.

Because one can always go deeper, we are all at a level of consciousness.  I recently became aware that some people feel that they are conscious (in their own superficial action), however, due to their superficial actions their consciousness is lacking. 

This is because when one decides to claim the title of "conscious" there is an expectation of action behind that title.  I am understanding it more that as a woman that claims to be a "feminist", in my understanding of feminist, what I am claiming is a level of "conscious feminine awareness, action, and thought."  Meaning, that as a woman, I have expectations of respect and level publicly.  I expect to be treated by every man as he would treat his "fellow man", aware that I have opinions, thoughts, and functions as a fellow man.  I expect a man that would know me professionally (at any capacity) to make a conscious effort to not demean me because of my sex.  This includes NOT using terms such as:  Sweetie, girl, honey, babygirl, etc.  As I would not go into a man's office and say "What's good boy"?  Or "How are you today, little bit?"

Because I have this expectation of a certain amount of respect I am put off when a man feels that he has the "right" to refer to me as any of the above, since, there is an expectation that I would not assume such toward him. 

This relates back to one's level of consciousness because awareness of one's own level and it's reflection on how others are seen is quite relevant in understanding one's place in the universe. 

When an individual claims to be "conscious" or aware of the world and universe around and within them there is a responsibility that comes with it (analogous to an adult aware that he/she is an adult).  That person then becomes responsible for their community and environment in a way that they he/she may not have been when he/she was not an adult. 

These expectations are innerstanding that the world around him/her is distributing values to inhabitants of it in a way that is diminishing toward some and over exaggerated to others.  This is illistruatative through race, finances, and even within race and within financial differences.  When one becomes aware of such values it is the individual's right and responsibility to bring what level of understanding he or she can to the injustice.

This is why it is important to respect levels of consciousness because with education come responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment